"Challenging Conversations – Boston University Ombudsman Resources"
Difficult campus and classroom conversations
“There is no house like the house of belonging.”
—David Whyte, The House of Belonging
Conversations around hot topics can quickly escalate into heated arguments that impede learning, reflection, and dialogue. With preparation and thoughtful facilitation, however, conversations around controversial and sensitive issues can be transformative. The following resources are provided to help facilitators foster constructive conversations whether in the classroom or other campus settings.
- Difficult Dialogues, Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
- Making the Most of “Hot Moments” in the Classroom, University of Michigan
- Guidelines for Discussing Incidents of Hate, Bias, and Discrimination, University of Michigan
- Managing Hot Moments in the Classroom, Harvard University
- Challenging Conversations, Humboldt State University
- What is Dialogue?, Clark University
This resource is an independent, impartial, informal, and confidential resource available to all members of the Boston University community. The Office provides a safe place to have off-the-record conversations about any kind of problem related to life at BU.