This course provides an overview of the peacebuilding field and introduces the skills needed to succeed in it. Guided through an exploration of USIP’s 30+ year experience engaging with local partners in conflict zones around the world, learners are exposed to a set of key theories, skills and approaches to building peace and to real-world examples that exemplify the complex challenges of peacebuilding.
- Explore and define different conceptions of peace, conflict, and violence.
- List and identify key skills and fields of practice utilized in building peace.
- Trace the history and evolution of peacebuilding as both a practice and a field of study.
- Think about how peacebuilding skills can be applied to real-life dilemmas and challenges.
- Compare and contrast application of peacebuilding skills across different contexts.