The HighScope pre school program ignites children’s interest in learning by creating an environment that encourages them to explore learning materials and interact with adults and peers. They focus on supporting early learners as they make decisions, build academic skills, develop socially and emotionally, and become part of a classroom community.
Preschool Curriculum Content
Learning in these eight areas is guided by 58 key developmental indicators (KDIs). Each KDI identifies an important learning goal for young children. We recognize that the normal pace of children’s development and learning varies widely across these eight categories and the KDIs reflect that continuum of widely held expectations. Our curriculum is designed to help teachers appropriately scaffold learning for every child across all areas.
The HighScope key developmental indicators
- Provide teachers with a child development “filter” for observing and choosing appropriate interactions and activities
- Help teachers interpret what young children say and do along a developmental continuum
- Enable teachers to maintain reasonable expectations for young children
- Reinforce children’s play as the primary mechanism for learning
- Allow teachers to be more knowledgeable and intentional in their daily planning for individual children and the class